We need to integrate social services with medical treatment. Spending on social services such as nutrition and shelter that improve health, decreases more expensive medical treatment and care.
Expanding the sales tax is a possible way of generating more revenue.The 10% retail tax and the 5.5% sales tax on legalized marijuana would fund the first $30 million towards school construction and all tax above that to the general fund. In 2012 proposed legislation to lower income tax to 4% would have cut revenues by $600 million. Approximately 75% would have gone to the top 20% of taxpayers which would be unfair to the other 80% of taxpayers.
Marijuana should be regulated like alcohol and tobacco. The 10% retail tax and the 5.5% sales tax would fund the first $30 million towards school construction and all tax above that to the general fund.
By funding public education at the 55% level the citizens have twice voted for. This will help with the property tax burden towns are faced with to fund their school systems.
I support the need for background checks but referendum 3 leaves the question of temporally loaning a gun to a non family member open to debate as to the implications.
This is a moral issue, all Mainer's should be able to earn a livable wage and increasing the minimum wage to $12 an hour in the next four years would begin to give workers their fair share.
We are in need of more training for medical professionals. Outpatient treatment centers need to be accepted and created or more incarceration and hospitalization will occur. According to Steve Kassels M.D. it can cost up to $50,000 to incarcerate and less then $5,000 for outpatient treatment.
By the Legislature
Yes. One political party could control a smaller-sized legislature. A smaller-sized legislature also may increase differences between rural and urban areas.
Tax cuts are the biggest barrier to economic development as they do not create jobs. Most new jobs are created by start ups and expanding existing business. The Legislature can approve non-partisan bonds that build the infrastructure for transportation and high speed internet throughout the entire state. Organizing higher education not with bricks but with improving what goes into the classroom and by lowering the cost of higher education, and expanding the incentives for college graduates to stay in the state.
Accepting new immigrates is one way we can reverse our decreasing population trend. Education is the most important way to help keep our children from leaving the state.
Food Insecurity...According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture, in Maine 25% of children and almost 6% of seniors are food insecure. Food insecurity is linked to economic insecurity. Sidney supports programs that help low-income families put food on their tables